What A Long Day

Today was long – very, very long. I went through and tackled every single item on my list today, either by adding/fixing it or moving it to a future patch. Don’t worry, most of the things put off for a later update were nice-to-haves, not need-to-haves. Things like being able to spawn independently-moving voxel layers and rotate them on a custom pivot. While cool, we don’t really need that right now – best to get the core out there so people can break it and I can fix it. Let’s look at what I did do!

If you’ve pledged to the Subscriber tier or higher on my Patreon, you can download this build right now!

Day 14’s Progress

What Did I Do Today?

Object Tool

In my last post I touched on the beginnings of the Object Tool. Today I’ve finished adding the core functionality. You can now place objects, rotate them, and delete them, and you can define and import your own models in OBJ format from 3D modeling programs such as Blender. As proof of concept, I’ve added Suzanne, the default Blender Monkey. This feature will make it very easy to add and position game elements such as collectibles, enemies and moving platforms throughout your scene. I even hope to add an inspector for manipulating per-instance variables at some point in the future!

New Object Tool

MagicaVoxel Import

MagicaVoxel is a pretty popular voxel editing suite, and something I’ve used quite a few times in the past. I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m trying to compete with their tool, they have a lot of features that I probably won’t ever add, and they offer it all for free. It’s a really great editor and I definitely recommend giving it a look. Anyway, today I’ve added the option to import MagicaVoxel’s *.vox file format into our editor, so you could in theory build out an entire scene in MagicaVoxel, and then just import it to add entities and textures and stuff like that.

MagicaVoxel

Minor Changes

Today saw a large number of bugfixes and tweaks. Since it would take far too long to go into detail on each one, I’ll just list them here.

  • Added NoClip Mode – Press N to toggle
  • Added new modifiers to color picker (Alt, Alt+Shift, Left-click, Right-click)
  • Added default project files
  • Added a number of grayscale textures which should tint properly
  • Terrain generators now run off of tile names (eg, name=”Grass”)
  • Moved a number of UI elements around
  • Selection Widget should now properly hide when not in use
  • Fixed Wall Guide and Selection Widget shaders
  • Fixed clipboard data sometimes not showing
  • Fixed voxels Wall Guide blocking voxel placement in certain situations
  • Fixed UI Drawers getting offset if window size changes
  • Fixed color picker not picking colors
  • Fixed player not being able to walk up stairs
  • Fixed color information not saving
  • Fixed lighting information not saving
  • Fixed tall grass and flowers being untargetable
  • Fixed scenes not unloading properly

Feature Complete-ish

As far as I’m concerned, I’ve already added all of the features that we’ve had in previous games, as well as all of the features I could come up with. The only things left on my list are things that aren’t at all necessary, such as VR and Multiplayer support. That’s not to say that we won’t continue adding more to this in the future, but since things are slowing down I’d rather switch to doing my dev logs on something that’s going to vary day to day. I’ll be gradually refactoring and polishing up this editor over the next two weeks to get it ready for some sort of public alpha, and I’ll touch base on it every now and again in this blog, but for now let’s switch to something a little more interesting. I’ll see you guys next time!